Apprentice Corporation (Ages 13-18, by placement assessment only)
Meets Mondays from 5 PM-8 PM and Wednesdays from 5:30 PM-7:30 PM
Annual tuition $810, or nine monthly payments of $90/month. Need-based financial aid is available.
Apprentice Corporation placement assessments: Saturday, August 26, 2017, 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Registration is closed for the 2017-18 program year.
The Apprentice Corporation is an intensive training program that cultivates advanced dance technique and leadership skills in teens ages 13-18. Members of this program have the opportunity to perform throughout the Atlanta community and on a yearly national tour. This advanced program takes place September through June on Moving in the Spirit’s MAC Stage. Moving in the Spirit’s classes for the 2017-18 program year begin on Monday, September 11.
Apprentice Corporation dancers:
- Meet for five hours each week for advanced training in modern dance, ballet and choreography
- Dedicate their fall, spring and summer breaks to the program
- Collaborate with their peers to create expressive dances that are sophisticated in form and structure
- Train and collaborate with guest artists from Atlanta’s professional dance community who conduct workshops, set choreography and serve as role models
- Problem-solve class issues, provide constructive feedback and implement solutions with their peers
- Present their works in local venues throughout Atlanta, with the opportunity to earn a place in the group’s annual national tour
Apprentice Corporation teens must complete a placement assessment and sign a “commitment contract” outlining goals and responsibilities. With more rigorous dance training, students develop, rehearse and perform work that reflects relevant social issues, promotes diversity and explores the teen’s unique voices.
Apprentice Corporation dancers are encouraged to take advantage of leadership opportunities with Moving in the Spirit, including teaching assistant positions, office internships and positions on our Board of Directors. Additionally, Apprentice Corporation dancers receive monthly educational workshops and are paired with mentors who serve as positive role models.
On their annual national tour, selected Apprentice Corporation dancers travel the country while inspiring diverse audiences with powerful performances. Since the program began, Apprentice Corporation members have taken their thought-provoking shows to more than 35 US cities and countries, including New York City, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, the Czech Republic and France. During the tour, the teens visit college campuses, participate in public speaking engagements, and conduct service and educational activities with youth organizations in other cities.
Girls should wear black footless tights or leggings and a black leotard. Boys should wear a black sports shirt and black pants or shorts.