Apprentice Corporation (Ages 13-18, by audition only)
Meets Mondays from 5:00 PM-8:00 PM and Wednesdays from 5:00 PM-8 PM
Annual tuition $945, or nine monthly payments of $105/month. Need-based financial aid is available.
Auditions for Apprentice Corporation will be held on Saturday, August 24, 2019 from 1:30 PM – 3 PM
Register by 7/15/19 and get an early bird registration fee of $10 (fee becomes $25 on 7/16).
The Apprentice Corporation is an intensive training program that cultivates advanced dance technique and leadership skills in teens ages 13-18. Members of this program have the opportunity to perform throughout the Atlanta community and on a yearly national tour. This advanced program takes place September through June in Moving in the Spirit’s Believe in Me Studio. Moving in the Spirit’s classes for the 2019-2020 program year begin on Monday, September 9.
- Apprentice Corporation Ballet (Monday, 5 PM – 6:30 PM)
- Apprentice Corporation Modern Dance (Monday, 6:30 PM – 8 PM)
- Apprentice Corporation West African Dance (Wednesday, 5 PM – 6:30 PM)
- Apprentice Corporation Modern Dance (Wednesday, 6:30 PM – 8 PM)
Apprentice Corporation dancers:
- Meet for six hours each week for advanced training in modern dance, ballet, and choreography
- Dedicate their fall, spring and summer breaks to the program
- Collaborate with their peers to create expressive dances that are sophisticated in form and structure
- Train and collaborate with guest artists from Atlanta’s professional dance community who conduct workshops, set choreography, and serve as role models
- Problem-solve class issues, provide constructive feedback and implement solutions with their peers
- Present their works in local venues throughout Atlanta, with the opportunity to earn a place in the group’s annual national tour
After the selection process, Apprentice Corporation teens must sign a “commitment contract” outlining goals and responsibilities. With more rigorous dance training, students develop, rehearse and perform work that reflects relevant social issues and explores the teen’s unique voices.
Apprentice Corporation dancers are encouraged to take advantage of optional leadership opportunities with Moving in the Spirit, including teaching assistant positions, office internships and positions on our Board of Directors. Additionally, Apprentice Corporation dancers receive monthly educational workshops.
On their annual national tour, selected Apprentice Corporation dancers travel the country, inspiring diverse audiences with powerful performances. Since the program began, Apprentice Corporation members have taken their thought-provoking shows to more than 35 US cities and countries, including New York City, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, the Czech Republic and France. During the tour, the teens visit college campuses, participate in public speaking engagements, and conduct service and educational activities with youth organizations in other cities.
Girls should wear black footless tights or leggings and a black leotard. Boys should wear a black sports shirt and black pants or shorts.