Men in Motion (Ages 10-13, Boys, by audition only)
Meets Saturdays, 1:45 PM-3:15 PM
Annual Tuition: $585, or nine monthly payments of $65/month. Need-based financial aid is available.
Men in Motion auditions: Saturday, September 16 at 1:45 PM (first day of class)
Registration is closed for the 2017-18 program year.
Men in Motion is a place in which young men ages 10-13 can learn values, build confidence and practice leadership skills. Activities and choreography are specially crafted to engage the unique energies and interests of young men. This intermediate-level program takes place September through May on Moving in the Spirit’s MAC Stage. Moving in the Spirit’s 2017-18 school year classes begin on Monday, September 11.
Men in Motion dancers:
- Meet for 90 minutes weekly to study modern dance, hip-hop and choreography
- Create energetic choreography with their peers
- Deepen their understanding of dance terminology, anatomy, and the key elements of dance performance
- Train with male guest artists from Atlanta’s professional dance community who conduct workshops, set choreography and serve as role models
- Participate in group mentoring activities through our Mentor Program
- Take part in recreational, cultural and educational field trips
- Present works they rehearse and create in their very own Men in Motion show, and in our year-end show at the Rialto Center for the Arts at Georgia State University.
Men in Motion members must complete a placement assessment at the beginning of the year and sign a “commitment contract” outlining their goals and responsibilities.
Director Chris McCord, an alumnus of Moving in the Spirit, takes special care to provide each program participant with counseling and encouragement. Men in Motion members also take part in monthly educational workshops covering topics such as puberty and health, violence prevention, self-esteem and peer pressure, and conflict resolution training. This educational series is offered by trained educators and counselors.
Boys should wear a black sports shirt and black pants or shorts.