Apprentice Corporation Modern
April 19 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30 pm on Monday, repeating until May 10, 2021
The Apprentice Corporation is a co-ed intensive training program that cultivates leadership skills in teens ages 13-18. Students are exposed to creative movement and dance technique, as well as dance composition, improvisation and student choreography. The program, rooted in social justice principles, strives to create a safe place for teens to respond to current events in their communities through the art of dance. Activities are designed to encourage resilience and positive self-identity, competencies needed to thrive in high school, college and beyond.
Please note: This class requires placement through an audition process, or in special cases for returning students, an invitation to re-join. If your student is selected, their training schedule is as follows:
- Apprentice Corporation Ballet (Monday, 5 PM – 6:30 PM)
- Apprentice Corporation Modern Dance (Monday, 6:30 PM – 8 PM)
- Apprentice Corporation West African Dance (Wednesday, 5 PM – 6:30 PM)
- Apprentice Corporation Modern Dance (Wednesday, 6:30 PM – 8 PM)
*all required classes are included in the Apprentice Corporation monthly tuition
Apprentice Corporation dancers:
- Dedicate their fall, spring and summer breaks to the program, as applicable
- Collaborate with their peers to create expressive dances that are sophisticated in form and structure
- Train and collaborate with guest artists from Atlanta’s professional dance community who conduct workshops, set choreography, and serve as role models
- Problem-solve class issues, provide constructive feedback and implement solutions with their peers
After the selection process, Apprentice Corporation teens must sign a “commitment contract” outlining goals and responsibilities. With more rigorous dance training, students develop, rehearse and perform work that reflects relevant social issues and explores the teen’s unique voices.
Apprentice Corporation dancers are encouraged to take advantage of optional leadership opportunities with Moving in the Spirit, including teaching assistant positions, office internships and positions on our Board of Directors.
On their annual national tour, selected Apprentice Corporation dancers travel the country, inspiring diverse audiences with powerful performances. Due to COVID-19, for the 2021 program year, students will work towards physically distanced and video-based performances to be shared with family and friends near and far.
In all classes, both online and in-person, students should wear black footless tights or leggings + a black leotard/tank top, OR a black sports shirt and black pants/ shorts, whichever is most appropriate.